Friday, October 22, 2010

Serger

Oh. My. Goodness. 

I got my serger.  I ordered a brother 1034D.  It was a hard choice bc all the models in this price range (lowest) had mixed reviews.  People either loved it or hated it. But I figured, if I can't figure it out, I can always return it. So I did it. 

It came yesterday--I was told that it would be here on the 26th, so I was totally unprepared.  I didn't pick up thread at JoAnns 2 days ago because I was not sure if different machines used different threads or what. 

After I used all the thread they had in machine (pre-threaded--BONUS!!!)... I scrounged around and found some old thread of mine. I threaded it and started.  And then ran into problems.  And more problems. And more problems.  One of the threads kept breaking!!!  I adjusted tension. Checked my threading. Consulted the book.  Consulted the video.  And finally (after a few deep breaths) I decided to change the thread.  Put in a brand new Gutterman and problem solved.  Works like a dream.  It was then that I decided I would just do a practice dress and nothing else until I get some serger cones. 

So, I got out some fabric that was sitting around for a while.  And finished a dress, start to finish--this dress had NO seams--in an hour.  That includes the time it took me to put the kids to bed.  And changing the thread (I thought I had fixed the problem, started the back seam and the thread broke again--that's when I got new thread).  And disorganization of my sewing area due to no room for serger. 

Long story short: I love my serger.  And I think it is going to save me SO much time!!!  I cannot wait to get thread today (with the Buy One Get One FREE at JoAnns)!!!  I anticipate finishing 20 dresses this weekend!!!  I will keep you posted!

3 comments:

  1. OOO, Im so jealous! I have been wanting one for years! You will have to let me know more about it and where you bought it, at JoAnns? Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the new blog by the way, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see how many you get done over the weekend! How awesome! Serging is definitely easier!!!!!

    ReplyDelete